RSS Twitter
Feb 2

1980′s Horror Films

Posted on Monday, February 2, 2009 in Movies/TV/Clips

poltergeist

A list of 80′s horror films that I remember watching when I was growing up in the 80′s. This was meant to be a Top Ten list but I couldn’t narrow it down so thought “meh! just put down what you remembered watching back then”.
Some in the list are timeless…..a few possibly not.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Alligator (1980)

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Christine (1983)

Class of Nuke ‘Em High (1986)

Day of the Dead (1985)

Demons (1985)

Friday the 13th (1980)

Fright Night (1985)

From Beyond (1986)

Hellraiser (1987)

Killer Clowns from Outer Space (1988)

Maniac (1980)

Maniac Cop (1988)

Near Dark (1987)

Night of the Comet (1984)

Night of the Demons (1988)

Poltergeist (1982)

Rawhead Rex (1986)

Re-Animator (1985)

Return of the Living Dead (1985)

Scanners (1981)

Shocker (1989)

Society (1989)

Terror Train (1980)

The Burning (1981)

The Changeling (1980) – My favourite horror film of all time.

The Evil Dead (1981)

The Fly (1986)

The Fog (1980)

The Howling (1981)

The Hunger (1983)

The Lost Boys (1987)

The Shining (1980)

The Thing (1982)

Videodrome (1983)

Xtro (1983)

Bring on the comments

1. grace spoor says:

looking for a movie from the 70′s or 80′s that was about the animals became mutant from the water. the bear in the movie was a monster mutant. and the lady was pregnant in the movie> I thought it was called species but when I tried to look for it, could n’t find it, do have any idea what the name of it is, like it got lost in the black hole Thanks

2. toby says:

Hi Grace.

I believe the film is called Prophecy (1979)

Toby

3. Not hardcore enough =)

4. eye testing says:

i remember twilight zone the movie scaring the crap out of me. please include on the list, if remember it. especially with the goul on the wing of the plane.
    .-= eye testing´s last blog ..REDUCE VDU EYE STRAIN | TIPS FOR COMPUTER USERS =-.

5. would be cool to kind of try and re create that shot in the studio – although cant see anyone letting you use their kids to create a poltergiest image mind!!

6. Most of the videos are in 80′s which most of it are unknown to me :)

anyway for some later part I like “wrong turn”
    thanks, I’ll wait for your next list.

7. Nice list, I enjoy films like that though I am always creepy after wards.

8. bud says:

The Shining is not just a great horror flick but one of the best films all time. Period.
    .-= bud´s last blog ..Shareefa Daanish in Rumah Dara =-.

9. I really liked the 80s vampire movies – lost boys and near dark
    .-= The Vampire Movies´s last blog ..TheVampireMovies.com website up and running! =-.

10. I think the Horrors of the 80′s really paved the way for what we are seeing in modern cinema horrors…You can beat the original horror movies from the 80′s…
    .-= Black Spiderman Costume´s last blog ..About Us =-.

11. anna says:

i’m looking for a movie i saw 8 yrs ago. in the begining, two women pull up to a mansion. the younger one goes in and ends up in a corner being “attacked” by rats. the older one out in the car ends up dying because a gargoyle falls off the top of the mansion, and crashes thru the car. a mom, dad, and little girl end up moving to the house, and the little girl finds a doll on the bed, and pulls the string and it talks. later in the movie, the little girl ends up getting locked behind a brick wall with the doll, and i also think iremember the dad getting bad, and trying to kill the mom and daughter in the end. anyone know what movie this is? i think its from the 1990s or maybe the 1980s. Help!

12. Todays horror films definitely aren’t what they used to be. I still get the shivers thinking about the old classics whereas the horrors today just aren’t the same thrill.
    .-= Donna @ Woody Costumes´s last blog ..About Us =-.

13. You have listed some fantastic films here and they really are timeless classics. Lost Boys and The Shining are the two films which really stand out for me. Jack Nicholson is very convincing in The Shining and the film keeps you gripped right to the very end. Lost Boys is a real coming of age film and the soundtrack is worth buying if you do not already have it.
    .-= Adam @ Barbie Costumes´s last blog ..Disclaimer =-.

14. Hellraiser is a film that will always stick in my mind – no pun intended. The image of the character with numerous nail/pins in his head is still quite disturbing.
    .-= Peter @ Luke Skywalker Costume´s last blog ..Disclaimer =-.

15. I am a regular visitor of your site and would just like to say thank you! I have even been encouraged to setup my own blog so please have a look. Jerald Joline

16. The Fly was a really great movie which was cutting edge at the time of filming. The way Jeff Goldblum’s character slowly morphed into the fly was so gripping. The sequel film did not live up to my expectations though.
    .-= Jack @ Boxer Costume´s last blog ..Privacy =-.

17. Re-animator (1985) was a real eye opener. What really sticks in my mind is the green liquid they used to bring the animals back to life. The deranged cat was particularly freaky. A classic and I am glad it features on your list.
    .-= Mark @ Lotso Huggin Bear´s last blog ..Lotso Hugging Bear =-.

18. Horror Fan says:

70′s & 80′s horror films were far better in my opinion than modern horrors. I remember being scared by ghouls and demons back then but most of todays films I find laughable.
    Maybe I’ve just grown up though!
    Anyway, nice list. A few more could be added though.

19. The Lost Boys was a great movie. I remember watching it as a teenager, really gave us the shivers! Nightmare on Elm Street is also an all time classic – I guess that’s why it tops your list…
    Jerry @ Frankenstein Costumes´s last blog post ..Kids Frankenstein Costumes

20. Return of the Living Dead – This is perhaps one of my all time favorite horror movies. I haven’t watched it in a while and seeing this blog made me watch it again. It is so awesome! A truly great zombie movie (I love Zombie movies!) Thanks for the memories.
    Jessy@citizen eco drive watches´s last blog post ..Citizen Men’s AT0200-05E Eco-Drive Chronograph Canvas Watch

21. The image of the Pinhead in Hellraiser will stay with me forever. It was and still is a really scary movie.
    James @ Peanut Costume´s last blog post ..Peanut Halloween Costumes

22. An American Werewolf in London was one of the all-time great horror movies, a pitch-perfect mix of belly laughs and genuine scares.
    Ken@noise cancelling headsets´s last blog post ..Sony Ericsson Hi-Fi Bluetooth Stereo Headset with FM Radio

23. I don’t know if it’s just because I was younger and more easily scared in the eighties, but the movies then seemed to be much more terrifying and full of suspense. Today’s films may have more special effects and access to computer generated wizardry but I still feel that many of the horror movies of yesteryear are hard to beat and really stand the test of time where the fear factor is concerned.

24. Jack Nicholson’s performance in The Shining was one of the best I have seen in any movie. I still love this film after 30 years!
    Candy @ Lalaloopsy Doll´s last blog post ..Peanut Big Top Doll

25. I think Alfred Hitchcock’s “psycho” is the ever time horror movie. Yeah it is really a psychological thriller. There are many horror movies came after that, but I feel all those had influenced a bit from “psycho”. If you do not watch the movie yet, watch it today itself. Then you will know a lot of techniques…. I would call it “Hitchcock magic!”

26. fantastic list, i have seen about 3 of those. I will check out some more later.

27. I truly say that the ring was ever time horror movie I had seen. I still feel scared by remembering the views of that movie.